Monday 5 January 2015

Q&A with the talented accessory designer Rosie Willet

I'd like to introduce you to our the creative designer and entrepreneur Rosie Willett. We have recently expanded our accessory offer and are proud to present Rosie Willet bridal tiaras & hair combs as part of our online collection. Each piece is designed and individually handmade by Rosie, using intricate hand stitching and beading techniques. Swarovski Crystal, Pearl and Diamante are combined with the finest fabrics including Silk Organza, Satin, Tulle and French lace to create the most stunning bridal accessories.


When and why did you start your business? 
Rosie Willett Designs was established in 2008. At the time, I felt that there was a limited choice of stylish hair accessories for brides. Most of the designs available were mass produced traditional tiaras that just didn't seem special enough and I saw a gap in the market for headpieces that were individually handmade, stylish and high quality. We offer a wide range of designs, including classic tiaras, vintage inspired side tiaras, romantic floral headpieces and bohemian forehead bands and hair vines. I make each and every headpiece individually by hand using only the finest materials, including Swarovski crystal and pearl, silks and French lace. 

Who are your style icons? 
Rose Byrne always looks amazing and I'm obsessed with her hair! I also like Diane Kruger and Chloe Sevigny for their quirky yet slick styles. Fashion in old black and white films is so inspiring too - I love Hitchcock's heroines. 


If you weren't a designer, what would you be doing? 
I really can't imagine not being a designer as this is what I love to do and have always been artistic. I have also been a ballet dancer since the age of three and part of me wishes that I had pursued this further as a career. I still manage to dance at the weekend, although I'm now doing hip hop classes rather than ballet! It's very different, but good fun and a great way to relax. 

What’s your motto in life? 
"Make your own path". Sometimes you can look at other people and feel that you are supposed to live your life in the same way as them, but I've learned that following the herd doesn't necessarily bring happiness. Our individuality is what makes us interesting and I find people who do things a little differently refreshing. 



What’s been the highlight of your career so far? 
This summer, I designed a bespoke headpiece for Georgia Horsley for her wedding to Danny Jones from McFly. The wedding was featured in Hello magazine, with a beautiful image of Georgia and Danny on the cover. The 'Georgia' headpiece is a delicate hair vine that can be worn across the forehead or further back in the hair. It's now my best selling headpiece! 


At LAWA we love traveling, where is your favourite destination, in the UK or abroad? 
I've recently been to Menorca and it's my new favourite place. It's so peaceful and pretty, with secluded coves and beautiful pink and purple flowers everywhere. It's also quite a special place as it's where we got engaged. 

How would you style and wear your favourite pair of shoes from the Love Art Wear Art collection? 
My favourite pair of shoes from the Love Art Wear Art collection is Scarlett. I love the plaited detail on the T-bar and the combination of fabrics. I think they would work perfectly with a stylish embellished bridal dress, but I would also wear them afterwards with skinny jeans or a little summer dress. They are a very versatile pair of shoes!



No comments:

Post a Comment